INOGATE Support Group (98.03)
Objective 1: Facilitating co-operation with producer and transit countries
Given the rapidly changing conditions affecting the INOGATE Programme, technical assistance was provided in the form of a "Rapid-Response Technical Facility" covering the fields of oil & gas, institutional development, finance and banking sectors, etc.
Objective 2: Establishment of a Network of INOGATE Officers
In its role of supporting the work of the INOGATE Working Group members and to promote INOGATE`s objectives, the INOGATE Support Group established a Network of INOGATE Officers in 10 INOGATE Participating Countries.
Objective 3: Promoting investments in oil and gas pipeline systems
One of the functions of the Support Group was to assist the European Commission and Participating Countries in mobilising the interest of potential European investors and other public and private institutions that could contribute to the realisation of the objectives of the INOGATE Programme.
To support the achievements of the INOGATE Programme`s overall objective: to improve the security of Europe`s energy supply by promoting the regional integration of the oil and gas pipeline systems and facilitating their transport both within the region and towards the export markets of Europe, while acting as a catalyst for attracting private investors and international financial institutions to these pipeline projects.
Objective No. 1
Facilitating cooperation with producer, transit and consumers countries with a view to supporting the achievement of the INOGATE Programme`s specific objectives.
Objective No. 2
Ensuring an effective flow and co-operation of information by establishing a Network of INOGATE Officers.
Objective No. 3
Promoting European investments in transport and production of oil and gas pipeline systems.
For Objective 1:
- Reinforced co-operation and understanding for the development of new and existing oil and gas pipelines between producer and transit countries as well as between them and the EU;
- Efficiently run "Rapid-Response Technical Facility" with the basic objective of facilitating the scope of work of the INOGATE Programme in order to realise its objectives, in particular, through establishment of the Independent EU-Ukraine Join Expert Working Group for elaboration of the "Reform Options for the Operation System of the Ukrainian Gas Transit Network".
For Objective 2:
- Improved co-ordination and strengthening institutional development of the INOGATE Programme;
- Established a Network of INOGATE Officers in 10 NIS INOGATE Participating Countries;
- Fully operational INOGATE Technical Secretariat in Kiev;
- Effective realisation of an Information and Promotion Campaign on the INOGATE Programme with a general purpose of informing and promoting the INOGATE Objectives and the specific purpose of attracting interest of potential investors.
For Objective 3:
- Effective realisation of an Information and Promotion Campaign on the INOGATE Programme with a general purpose of informing and promoting the INOGATE objectives and the specific purpose of attracting interest of potential investors.
he Project met the planned objectives. The following results were achieved during the project implementation:
For Objective 1:
- Preparation of the Concept Paper: "Europe-Russia Energy Partnership" which served as the basis for the preparation of the concluding statement for the EU- Russia Energy Dialogue;
- Provision of technical backstopping support for the organization of 7 EU-Russia Energy Dialogue Working Group meetings in Brussels and Stockholm;
- Presentation of the INOGATE Programme at the International Conference "Ukraine: the Energy Hub of Europe", Kiev;
- Presentation of the INOGATE Programme at the exhibition "Energoforum Ukraine 2001", Kiev;
- Preparation of country profiles for each of the 21 INOGATE countries containing pertinent information about the economic and energy situation of the country;
- Provision of technical assistance for the evaluation of the INOGATE proposals for small-scale investments for regional oil and gas infrastructures in Eastern Europe, Caucasus and Central Asia;
- Organization of a mission by the INOGATE Support Group to the Caucasus region in order to meet with the target groups and exchange ideas on the development of the INOGATE Programme and priority projects that require investment;
- Organization of a series of Regional INOGATE Technical Working Group meetings in Brussels for the Caucasus, Eastern Europe and Central Asia regions;
- Development of a portfolio of technical information which contains summary fiches of projected oil and gas pipelines as well as an updated library including relevant reports from Tacis national energy projects and INOGATE projects training material;
- Establishment of the EU-Ukraine Joint Expert Working Group for the preparation of a study on "Elaboration of the Reform Options for the Operation System of the Ukrainian Gas Transit Network." A presentation of the results of the study was made to Naftogaz at the end of July 2002;
- Participation of the INOGATE Programme with a stand in the third international "Energy Forum Ukraine-2002" which took place in Kiev. Participation was also undertaken in the parallel conference with a presentation of the INOGATE Programme;
- Provision of technical assistance to the EC for the preparation of the terms of reference for the INOGATE 2001 project "Feasibility study for the regional satellite accident prevention and monitoring system".
For Objective 2:
- Establishment of a network of INOGATE Officers in Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Moldova, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and Ukraine;
- Organisation of training courses for the INOGATE Officers in order to prepare them for the responsibilities of their position Procurement and distribution of laptops to INOGATE Officers;
- Promotion of the INOGATE Programme by the INOGATE Officers in their country. Activities undertaken include dissemination of press releases and INOGATE promotional material, implementation of media actions, contact with high level representatives, participation in local events and general support to the INOGATE Support Group in communication activities in their country;
- Identification of projects by INOGATE Officers for possible future funding by the INOGATE Programme;
- Collection of information by the INOGATE Officers on the energy legislation in their country and identification of key players in the energy sector;
- Collection of information by the INOGATE Officers on the ratification process of the INOGATE Umbrella Agreement in their country;
- Preparation of Gas Maintenance Studies by the INOGATE Officers for their country.
For Objective 3:
- Increased awareness, interest and involvement of European private investors and International Financial Institutions in supporting the development of new and existing oil and gas pipelines systems which aim towards securing Europe�s energy supply;
- Preparation of two complete libraries of INOGATE projects and studies in both hard and electronic formats in Kiev and Athens;
- Establishment of the INOGATE Information Centres in Kiev and Athens;
- Organization of the opening ceremony for the INOGATE Information Centre in Kiev located in the premises of the INOGATE Technical Secretariat;
- Redesign and launching of the INOGATE web site in a more user-friendly format and contains updated and new information on the INOGATE Programme;
- Preparation of 15-day news report (throughout the duration of the project) on the energy sector in INOGATE countries that was uploaded on the web site and disseminated to a selected target audience;
- Preparation of the INOGATE Information Pack which included the production of an INOGATE folder, stationary and INOGATE information flyers;
- Participation of the INOGATE Programme with a stand in the 5th International Exhibition "Oil and Gas 2001" and in the parallel conference with a speaker;
- Participation of the INOGATE Programme in the opening of the Gas Metering Station in Grebenyky, Ukraine;
- Participation of the INOGATE Programme in the inauguration ceremony of the Joint Regional Natural Gas Meteorological Centre in Boyarka, Ukraine;
- Updating of the INOGATE maps and reproduction of maps in electronic format on a layered basis;
- Preparation and dissemination of press releases and articles pertaining to the INOGATE Programme on a continuous basis throughout the duration of the project;
- Translation and production of the INOGATE Brochure in the Russian language;
- Development of a presentation about the INOGATE Programme on CD in multi¬ media format. The multi-media presentation was also converted into three different formats for multiple presentation use;
- Production of a video documentary on the INOGATE Programme. The video was also reproduced in CD-ROM format;
- Preparation of 3 information leaflets on the INOGATE Programme in English and Russian. The leaflets covered the topics of the Umbrella Agreement, small-scale investment projects and the INOGATE Programme and security of supply;
- Dissemination activities were undertaken to selected target audiences throughout the duration of the project for all INOGATE promotional material developed Organization of the Business Conference "The development of the oil and gas sector of Ukraine and opportunities for attraction of foreign investment," which took place in Brussels. Over 95 participants from the EU and Ukraine took part at this conference aimed at attracting foreign investment in 15 specific oil and gas projects that were presented;
- Preparation of an assessment on the work carried out for this project. The results of this assessment will form the basis for the preparation of the "Recommendations for future INOGATE communication activities".