INOGATE & Georgia
Georgia is a founding member of INOGATE and has benefited from 36 of 69 INOGATE projects since 1996. With the seat of the INOGATE Regional Coordination Office for the Caucasus Region in Tbilisi, Georgia is well placed to coordinate INOGATE projects in the region. INOGATE continues to support Georgia in various areas of the energy sector:
- Energy markets: Georgia's energy markets have benefited from the development and review of its tariff methodologies in electricity and gas in line with EU practices and its internal electricity market models have been reviewed and analysed. INOGATE is also working under the coordination of the Ministry of Energy on the development of the legal and regulatory framework leading to a greater approximation of the Georgian legislation with the EU Acquis Communitaire on Energy. INOGATE also provides support for Georgia’s membership to the Energy Community.
- Energy security: In order to achieve a greater level of energy security in the future, it is imperative that Georgia has in place adequate infrastructure not only serving its domestic energy demand, but also to accommodate regional energy flows. State-of-the-art infrastructure, however, requires appropriate regulatory and commercial mechanisms that ensures its technical and economic efficiency. Electricity market stakeholders such as the Georgian State Electrosystem (GSE) and Electricity System Commercial Operator (ESCO) are working with INOGATE in the development of the appropriate planning procedures and commercial models required for a enhancing regional trading and accommodate an increased share of RES in the country’s energy mix. Similarly, the Georgian Oil and Gas Corporation and Georgia's Gas Transmission Pipeline Network are working with INOGATE in developing the required knowledge base and practical skills for the operation of maintainance the existing networks as well as for planning, design and construction supervision of their future high pressure gas infrastructure.
- Energy standards: With INOGATE support in the standards area, a European-style gas Technical Committee was set up to strengthen Georgian institutional capacity in the uptake of European and international gas standards. Georgia received 112 translated European and international gas standards, 12 of which have been already adopted as inter-state standards, identical to international standards. The Road Map and Action Plan for the harmonisation of gas and electricity standards are currently being developed together with the programme of adoption of priority electricity standards for 2014-2016.
- Energy investments: Georgia's banking sector has benefited from INOGATE training and workshops to improve its financing of sustainable energy projects and to enable its access to the credit lines of international financial institutions.
- Energy efficiency: To improve the energy efficiency of buildings, INOGATE undertook an energy audit and training that has led to the refurbishment of a nine-storey residential building in Tbilisi using energy-efficiency technologies, highlighting the potential of energy efficiency for investment returns.
- Energy statistics: In a move to align its statistical activities with those of the EU and international agencies, with INOGATE assistance, Georgia has developed its Energy Statistics Action Plan for 2012-14, carried out surveys in the enterprise and households sectors and compiled its annual energy balance for 2013 according to international standards.
AD-HOC EXPERTS FACILITY
STATUS OF EXPERT REQUESTS
INOGATE STATUS REPORT
PROGRESS OF REFORMS
- Ministry of Energy and Natural Resources of Georgia
- Delegation of the European Union to Georgia
- Georgian Oil and Gas Corporation (GOGC)
- Georgian National Energy and Water supply Regulatory Commission (GNERC)
- National Statistics Office of Georgia
- Electricity System Commercial Operator (ESCO)
- Georgian Gas Transportation Company (GGTC)
- Georgian National Agency for Standards and Metrology (GEOSTM)
- Georgian State Electro System” LLC (GSE)
- European Bank of Reconstruction and Development (Georgia)
- Energy Efficiency Centre
Delegates from Georgia will participate in:
Upcoming INOGATE activities in Georgia
INOGATE is placing increased focus on sustainable energy as the energy source of the future. INOGATE supports investments to this sector through geospatial mapping of renewable energy as a visual tool to support investment dialogue between policy makers, potential investors and the renewable energy supply chain.
INOGATE continues to support initiatives such as the EU's Covenant of Mayors, whereby cities commit themselves to reducing CO2 emissions by 20% through the implementation of Sustainable Energy Action Plans. Tbilisi hosts a branch office of the Covenant of Mayors Secretariat and nine Georgian cities (Akhaltsikhe, Batumi, Gori, Kutaisi, Rustavi, Tbilisi, Telavi City Hall, Telavi Municipality and Zugdidi) have already signed up to this ambitious initiative.
To support energy market reforms, INOGATE's prototype study on tariff setting methods in the Partner Countries recommends appropriate revisions to tariff setting methodologies in line with relevant EU practices. INOGATE supports energy supply security with a comprehensive study on state-of-the-art technologies to reduce gas losses.
Other key areas of continued INOGATE support include the development of the energy statistics system and the harmonisation of priority gas and electricity standards.
As of 2013, Georgia is a candidate country for full membership of the EU Energy Community. INOGATE provides continuing technical assistance to Georgia so that it can adopt and put into practice the EU rules on energy, have closer ties with the EU's single market, attract investment and increase the financial stability of its energy sector.
The INOGATE Technical Secretariat and Georgia jointly defined the activities for implementation in the period of 2015-2016 and agreed them with the European Commission. This country work plan can be found here.
INOGATE & Georgia
|Activity Title ▴▾||Date ▴▾||Status ▴||Location||Type|
|Creation of ESIB website||01/11/2010 - 31/12/2013||Completed||Publications|
|Fourth Steering Group Meetings||16/12/2011 - 16/12/2011||Completed||Kiev (Ukraine)||INOGATE Meetings|
|Meeting of the INOGATE Country Coordinators and Working Group Members 13-14 December 2011||13/12/2011 - 14/12/2011||Completed||Brussels (Belgium)||Event
|AHEF Project Fiches||01/01/2010 - 18/01/2012||Completed||Country Requests (AHEFS)
|PPF Project Fiches||01/06/2010 - 18/01/2012||Completed||Country Requests (AHEFS)
Reports and Studies
|SEMISE Case Stories||18/01/2009 - 18/01/2012||Completed||Reports and Studies
Country Requests (AHEFS)
|SEMISE Methodological Approaches||18/01/2009 - 18/01/2012||Completed||Reports and Studies|
|Comp A: EU Industry Workshop - Promotion of Investment in the INOGATE Countries||06/03/2012 - 06/03/2012||Completed||Brussels (Belgium)||Event
Seminars & Workshops
|INOGATE 15th Anniversary Report - INOGATE in Milestones 1996-2011||14/02/2012 - 14/02/2012||Completed||Publications|
|INOGATE Annual Report 2011||30/11/2011 - 14/02/2012||Completed||Publications
Reports and Studies
|Translation of 3rd Energy Package of EU Directives||30/11/2011 - 14/02/2012||Completed||Publications
Reports and Studies
|Final Report||25/01/2012 -||Completed||Reports and Studies|
|New Guidelines & Application Form for Assistance under the ITS Ad Hoc Expert Facility (AHEF)||01/07/2012 - 01/04/2015||Completed||Country Requests (AHEFS)
|Comp D: Energy Statistics Network Meeting||25/09/2012 - 26/09/2012||Completed||Brussels (Belgium)||Event
|Study tour on Bio-energy - Slovakia||16/10/2012 - 18/10/2012||Completed||Banska Bystrica (Slovakia)||Event
|Comp A: Seminar - Workshop EURONEST PARLIAMENTARY ASSEMBLY||19/09/2012 - 19/09/2012||Completed||Brussels (Belgium)||Event
|Comp D: INOGATE/IEA Training on Energy Statistics and Indicators||05/11/2012 - 09/11/2012||Completed||Tbilisi (Georgia)||Event
|Comp A: Country and Regional Experts Training||03/09/2012 - 05/09/2012||Completed||Kiev (Ukraine)||INOGATE Meetings|
|Comp A: Working Group and Country Coordinators Meeting||29/11/2012 - 30/11/2012||Completed||Brussels (Belgium)||Event
|Comp B: ITS project presentation to the EASC meeting and conference in Almaty, Kazakhstan||22/05/2012 - 22/05/2012||Completed||Almaty (Kazakhstan)||Event
|Final Reprt of ITS||15/02/2012 - 15/02/2012||Completed||Reports and Studies|
|Final Report of SEMISE||01/01/2012 - 01/01/2012||Completed||Reports and Studies|
|Regional Seminar “Moving towards a new approach on standardization & harmonization of Electricity & Gas standards and codes” – Belgium||29/01/2013 - 30/01/2013||Completed||Brussels (Belgium)||Event
|Regional Seminar “Electricity Cross Border Trading – EU Perspectives” – Belgium||31/01/2013 - 01/02/2013||Completed||Brussels (Belgium)||Event
|Comp D: International Conference on Strategic Role of Energy Statistics in National and International Policies||23/04/2013 - 24/04/2013||Completed||Copenhagen (Denmark)||INOGATE Meetings|