INOGATE & Belarus
The Republic of Belarus has been an INOGATE Partner Country since 1996 and has benefited from 31 of INOGATE's 69 projects. INOGATE continues to support Belarus in various areas of the energy sector:
- Energy Markets: INOGATE advised Belarus on its current legislation on rules and procedures for the connection to the electricity networks based on best EU practices.
- Energy Statistics: With INOGATE assistance, the National Statistical Committee of Belarus developed its Energy Statistics Action Plan for 2012-14 focusing on the development of a quality energy balance and energy efficiency indicators. INOGATE facilitated the development of a tailor-made methodology and user-friendly tool for energy data collection and energy balance compilation.
- Renewable Energy: INOGATE is helping Belarus to identify gaps and needs for improving existing legislation on renewable energy to overcome barriers to the greater use of renewable energy resources in the heat and electricity sectors. In April 2014, INOGATE and the EBRD facilitated a landmark, dedicated international conference to discuss and make recommendations on how Belarus can boost its renewable energy investments.
- Energy Investments: INOGATE’s comprehensive training in sustainable energy financing helped the local bank, BelVEB Bank, to start implementation of €10 million of sustainable energy projects projects within EBRD’s credit line.
- Energy Policy: INOGATE provided assistance to the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environmental Protection for the improvement of existing legislation to promote renewable energy sources in heat and electricity generation. INOGATE supported an Investment Forum to support necessary changes in legislation so as to improve the investment climate in the country.
AD-HOC EXPERTS FACILITY
STATUS OF EXPERT REQUESTS
INOGATE STATUS REPORT
PROGRESS OF REFORMS
- Ministry of Energy of the Republic of Belarus
- National Statistical Committee of the Republic of Belarus
- Ministry of Economy of the Republic of Belarus
- State commitee for Standardization of the Republic of Belarus
- Belarussian Renewable Energy Association
- State Committee on Science and Technologies of the Republic of Belarus
- European Bank of Reconstruction and Development (Belarus)
Delegates from Belarus will participate in:
Upcoming INOGATE activities in Belarus
The INOGATE Programme continues to support the energy dialogue with Belarus within the context of the regional energy cooperation between the INOGATE countries and the European Union.
Increased attention is given to sustainable energy as the energy source of the future. This includes increasing investments to this sector by, for example, undertaking geospatial mapping of energy efficiency/renewable energy sources and providing a visual tool to support an investment dialogue between policy makers, potential investors and the renewable energy supply chain.
Support continues to initiatives such as the Covenant of Mayors, whereby cities are committing themselves to reduce CO2 emissions by 20% through the implementation of Sustainable Energy Action Plans. Eleven Belarusian cities (Ashmyany, Braslav, Chavusy, Ivie, Kobryn, Molodechno, Novogrudok, Polotsk, Pukhovichi district, Rogachev and Slutsk) have already signed up to this ambitious initiative.
Tariffs are a key issue in energy market reforms and INOGATE will deliver a study providing an overview of tariffs setting methodologies in the Partner Countries and recommending appropriate revisions to tariffs setting methodologies, in line with the relevant EU best practices.
INOGATE continues to support energy supply security by providing a comprehensive study on state of the art technologies for the reduction of gas losses. Other key areas of continued INOGATE support include the development of the energy statistics system and the harmonisation of priority gas and electricity standards.
The INOGATE Technical Secretariat (ITS) activities are being implemented at national level with ITS expert technical assistance provided in the form of capacity and institutional building, and at regional level where the actions include conferences, study tours, national meetings, as well as networking opportunities.
INOGATE Technical Secretariat and Belarus jointly defined the activities for
implementation in the period of 2015-2016 and agreed them with the European
Commission. This country work plan can be found here.