INOGATE & Azerbaijan
The Republic of Azerbaijan has been an INOGATE Partner Country since 1996 and has benefited from 33 of INOGATE's 69 projects. INOGATE continues to support Azerbaijan in various areas of the energy sector
- Energy Markets INOGATE supported the development of third party access rules for the electricity sector of Azerbaijan by analysing current legislation and developing recommendations, and in this way, helping to independent producers to gain access to the grid.
- Energy Security INOGATE is assisting the main electricity company, Azerenerji, to develop an integrated programme of Advanced Metering Infrastructure across the country’s electrical distribution network with a view to reducing technical and commercial losses (including thefts) as well as improving receivables and operational performance.
- Energy Statistics With INOGATE assistance, the State Statistical Committee of Azerbaijan developed its Energy Statistics Action Plan for 2012-14 focusing on the development of a quality energy balance and energy efficiency indicators. INOGATE facilitated the development of a tailor-made methodology and user-friendly tool for energy data collection and energy balance compilation.
- Renewable Energy INOGATE is working with Azeristiliktechizat, the national operator of heat supply systems, to outline a path for the development of the district heating system with a dedicated road map up to 2020.
- Energy Efficiency INOGATE and the Azerbaijan University of Architecture and Construction (AzUAC) are developing educational materials to improve students' knowledge of energy efficiency in buildings.
- Energy Investments INOGATE’s training on energy audit analysis for bankable projects for the Centre for Strategic Studies has further enhanced professional skills and knowledge of people working on sustainable energy.
- Energy Policy INOGATE has been assisting the Ministry of Industry and Energy of Azerbaijan in creating an internal structure dedicated to energy efficiency. Such a body will enhance the institutional framework and advance the topic of energy efficiency in Azerbaijan.
- Energy Tariffs INOGATE is assisting the Tariff Council in formulating proposals for improving primary and secondary legislation on losses in the electricity and gas sectors.
- Benchmarking progress INOGATE, in cooperation with the International Energy Agency, is benchmarking the progress of Partner Countries toward the four objectives areas of the Baku Initiative, and providing strategic recommendations for improving their energy sectors.
AD-HOC EXPERTS FACILITY
STATUS OF EXPERT REQUESTS
INOGATE STATUS REPORT
PROGRESS OF REFORMS
- Ministry of Industry and Energy Azerbaijan
- Delegation of the European Union to Azerbaijan
- State Statistical Committee of the Republic of Azerbaijan
- Tariff (price) Council of Azerbaijan Republic
- Ministry of Economic Development of Azerbaijan
- Azerenergy JSC
- European Bank of Reconstruction and Development (Azerbaijan)
- State Committee for Standardization, Metrology and Patent
Delegates from Azerbaijan will participate in:
Upcoming INOGATE activities in Azerbaijan
The INOGATE Programme continues to support the energy dialogue with Azerbaijan within the context of the regional energy cooperation between the INOGATE countries and the European Union.
Increased attention is given to sustainable energy as the energy source of the future. This includes increasing investments to this sector by, for example, undertaking geospatial mapping of energy efficiency/renewable energy sources and providing a visual tool to support an investment dialogue between policy makers, potential investors and the renewable energy supply chain.
Support continues to initiatives such as the Covenant of Mayors, whereby cities are committing themselves to reduce CO2 emissions by 20% through the implementation of Sustainable Energy Action Plans. One Azeri city (Icherisheher) has already signed up to this ambitious initiative.
Tariffs are a key issue in energy market reforms and INOGATE will deliver a study providing an overview of tariffs setting methodologies in the Partner Countries and recommending appropriate revisions to tariffs setting methodologies, in line with the relevant EU best practices.
INOGATE continues to support energy supply security by providing a comprehensive study on state of the art technologies for the reduction of gas losses. Other key areas of continued INOGATE support include the development of the energy statistics system and the establishment of technical committees on gas and electricity for the sustainable and effective harmonisation of specific standards.
The INOGATE Technical Secretariat (ITS) activities are being implemented at national level with ITS expert technical assistance provided in the form of capacity and institutional building, and at regional level where the actions include conferences, study tours, national meetings, as well as networking opportunities.
The INOGATE Technical Secretariat and Azerbaijan jointly defined the activities for implementation in the period of 2015-2016 and agreed them with the European Commission. This country work plan can be found here.
INOGATE & Azerbaijan
|Document title ▴▾||Language||Type||Date ▴|
|Final Status Report 2011 & preparation of the next Status Report||en||Presentation
|INOGATE Programme Status Report 2011||en, ru||Status report
|Final Report, National Energy Statistics Action Plan for the Republic of Azerbaijan||en, ru||Final Report
|Eastern Europe, Caucasus and Central Asia – Highlights 2013||en, ru||Status report
|Brochure "Why are Energy Statistics important?||en, ru||Other
|Regional Work Plan||en, ru||Other
|Country Work Plan: Azerbaijan||en, ru||Other