INOGATE & Armenia
The Republic of Armenia has been an INOGATE Partner Country since 1996 and has benefited from 33 of INOGATE's 69 projects. INOGATE continues to support Armenia in various areas of the energy sector:
- Energy markets: INOGATE advised Armenia on its current legislation on rules and charges for connection to the electricity and gas networks based on the EU practice. INOGATE supported the assessment of Armenia's existing provisions for the measurement and control of reactive power and existing tariff regulations for the recovery of consumption costs in the distribution network.
- Energy policy: INOGATE assisted the Ministry of Urban Development in the development of a road-map for introduction of an energy performance certificates system in Armenia's building sector.
- Energy tariffs: An INOGATE study on electricity and natural gas tariffs in Partner Countries addressed the methodologies used by Ministries and Tariff Offices for a future overview of all tariff calculation methods used in the region.
- Energy statistics: With INOGATE assistance, the National Statistical Service of Armenia has developed its Energy Statistics Action Plan for 2012-14 focusing on the development of a quality energy balance. INOGATE has facilitated the development of a tailor-made methodology and user-friendly tool for energy data collection and energy balance compilation.
- Renewable energy: Armenia is participating in INOGATE's regional renewable energy scoping study. INOGATE is building capacity for the financing of Renewable Energy Sources investment projects.
- Energy efficiency: INOGATE and the State Engineering University of Armenia (SEUA) and the Yerevan State University of Architecture and Construction (YSUAC) are improving sustainable energy curricula, including energy efficiency in buildings, industrial energy efficiency, sustainable energy policy and energy economics.
- Energy investments: INOGATE assistance has led to a number of investments in sustainable energy. An Armenian bank and Erste Bank, Austria, are developing a €20 million project on renewable energy for greenhouses, using solar and biogas technologies. INOGATE's study tour has led a second bank in Armenia to finance 4 projects on sustainable energy, with a total amount of €2.8 million, and signing a loan contract with the Green Growth Fund (GGF), for €3.6 million. A €7 million energy efficiency loan project is being implemented in cooperation with the World Bank to reduce energy consumption in public and municipal buildings and in street lighting systems.
AD-HOC EXPERTS FACILITY
STATUS OF EXPERT REQUESTS
INOGATE STATUS REPORT
PROGRESS OF REFORMS
- Ministry of Energy and Natural Resources of Republic of Armenia
- Public Services Regulatory Commission of the Republic of Armenia
- European Union Delegation to Armenia
- National Statistical Service of the Republic of Armenia
- Armenia Renewable Resources and Energy Efficiency Fund (R2E2)
- Electric Networks of Armenia
- Yerevan State University of Architecture and Construction
- German-Armenian Fund
- European Bank of Reconstruction and Development (Armenia)
- Armenia - Climate Change Information Center
Delegates from Armenia will participate in:
Upcoming INOGATE activities in Armenia
The INOGATE Programme continues to support the energy dialogue with Armenia within the context of the regional energy cooperation between the INOGATE countries and the European Union.
Increased attention is given to sustainable energy as the energy source of the future. This includes increasing investments to this sector by, for example, undertaking geospatial mapping of energy efficiency/renewable energy sources and providing a visual tool to support an investment dialogue between policy makers, potential investors and the renewable energy supply chain.
Support continues to initiatives such as the Covenant of Mayors, whereby cities are committing themselves to reduce CO2 emissions by 20% through the implementation of Sustainable Energy Action Plans. Ten Armenian cities (Aparan, Artik, Ashtarak, Dilijan, Gyumri, Hrazdan, Spitak,Tsakhkadzor, Vayk and Yerevan) have already signed up to this ambitious initiative.
Tariffs are a key issue in energy market reforms and INOGATE will deliver a study providing an overview of tariffs setting methodologies in the Partner Countries and recommending appropriate revisions to tariffs setting methodologies, in line with the relevant EU best practices.
INOGATE continues to support energy supply security by providing a comprehensive study on state of the art technologies for the reduction of gas losses. Other key areas of continued INOGATE support include the development of the energy statistics system and the harmonisation of priority gas and electricity standards.
The INOGATE Technical Secretariat (ITS) activities are being implemented at national level with ITS expert technical assistance provided in the form of capacity and institutional building, and at regional level where the actions include conferences, study tours, national meetings, as well as networking opportunities.
INOGATE continues technical assistance requested by Armenia to support its transition from observer to full membership in the Energy Community.
The INOGATE Technical Secretariat and Armenia jointly defined the activities for implementation in the period of 2015-2016 and agreed them with the European Commission. This country work plan can be found here.
INOGATE & Armenia
|Activity Title ▴||Date ▴▾||Status ▴▾||Location||Type|
|Comp D: Signing of MoU with the Republic of Armenia||26/06/2013 - 26/06/2013||Completed||Yerevan (Armenia)||Reports and Studies
|Comp D: Study Tour on Energy Statistics and Energy Balances||05/11/2013 - 07/11/2013||Completed||Sofia (Bulgaria)||Event
Seminars & Workshops
|Country Coordinators Meeting October 2010||19/10/2010 - 20/10/2010||Upcoming||Tbilisi (Georgia)||Event
|Country Coordinators` Whorkshop on Communication and Monitoring||19/10/2010 - 20/10/2010||Upcoming||Tbilisi (Georgia)||Event
|INOGATE Regional and Country Work Plans 2015-2016||26/02/2015 - 26/02/2016||Ongoing||Brussels (Belgium)||Reports and Studies|
|Covenant of Mayors going East. International Conference on the Covenant of Mayors||21/10/2010 - 22/10/2010||Completed||Tbilisi (Georgia)||Event
|Creation of ESIB website||01/11/2010 - 31/12/2013||Completed||Publications|
|Development of a road-map for introduction of an energy performance certificates system in the building sector of Armenia, including legal framework and distribution of institutional roles (AHEF.124.AM)||19/05/2014 - 20/05/2014||Completed||Yerevan (Armenia)||Country Requests (AHEFS)
|Development of Country Communication Action Plans||01/03/2011 - 31/12/2011||Ongoing||Publications|
|Draft Benchmarking Reports on Progress on the Astana Road Map||03/01/2011 - 11/05/2011||Ongoing||Reports and Studies|
|Eastern Europe, Caucasus and Central Asia – Highlights 2013||20/10/2014 - 20/10/2014||Completed||Publications
Reports and Studies
|Energy efficiency, demand-side management, and renewable energy - The sustainable way||15/04/2008 - 16/04/2008||Completed||Brussels (Belgium)||Event
Seminars & Workshops
|ESIB Final Report||31/07/2012 - 31/07/2012||Completed||Event
|Executive summary of the 6th Interim Progress Report||01/08/2014 - 31/01/2015||Completed||Reports and Studies|
|Executive summary of the 7th Interim Progress Report||01/02/2015 - 31/08/2015||Completed||Reports and Studies|
|Final conference||08/02/2011 - 08/02/2011||Completed||Kiev (Ukraine)||Event
|Final conference on Road Maps and Action Plans for Standardisation. Regional Work Plan (RWP.05)||22/02/2016 - 25/02/2016||Completed||Tbilisi (Georgia)||Event
|Final Report||25/01/2012 -||Completed||Reports and Studies|
|Final Report of SEMISE||01/01/2012 - 01/01/2012||Completed||Reports and Studies|
|Final Reprt of ITS||15/02/2012 - 15/02/2012||Completed||Reports and Studies|
|First Technical Group Meeting||26/04/2010 - 26/04/2010||Completed||Kiev (Ukraine)||Event
|Fourth Steering Group Meetings||16/12/2011 - 16/12/2011||Completed||Kiev (Ukraine)||INOGATE Meetings|
|Harmonisation of standards for small HPP equipment and standards (AM63)||25/08/2014 - 25/08/2014||Completed||Yerevan (Armenia)|
|Harmonization methodology for the adoption of international standards and detailed presentation of the two selected high and low voltage pilot standards||09/12/2010 - 10/12/2010||Completed||Kiev (Ukraine)||Event
Seminars & Workshops
|Informal meeting of the INOGATE Country Coordinators||28/09/2015 - 29/09/2015||Completed||Kiev (Ukraine)||Event