INOGATE Workshops in the framework of VII International Investment Business Forum on Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy
To bring the idea and practicalities of energy efficiency to the general public, the State Agency on Energy Efficiency and Energy Saving of Ukraine (SAEE) organised the VII International Investment Business Forum on Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy from 10 to 13 November, in Kiev. As part of the Forum, INOGATE organised the workshop “Ecodesign: the experience of the EU and first steps of Ukraine” focusing on past and current developments in ecodesign in the EU, and on SAEE's current activities in this field. The workshop provided an opportunity to review the past and current work of SAEE on energy labelling, and to discuss first steps towards the transposition of the EU Ecodesign Directive 2009/125/EC and of specific regulations for energy-related products.
Energy labelling provides consumers with information on the relative energy performance of different products available on the market so that energy efficiency choices can be part of the buying decision. Ecodesign defines minimum requirements of products with regard to their energy and environmental performance. Energy labelling and Ecodesign are powerful instruments to achieve market transformation of energy-related products and will result in energy savings in the EU of 175 Mtoe of primary energy per year by 2020. Also in Ukraine, the adoption of both EU Directives will have an important impact in improving the environment, reducing energy consumption and providing greater energy security.
Following an opening address by Mr Krzysztof Gierulski, Member of the Support Group for Ukraine of the European Commission, and welcome words on behalf of Mr Sergey Savchuk, Chairman of SAEE, the following topics were addressed by speakers of ITS, ICF International, SAEE and the Ministry of Economy of Ukraine:
· An introduction to Energy Labelling and Ecodesign, which have been cornerstones of the EU Energy Policy, since 1992 and 2005 respectively;
· An overview on the EU Ecodesign Directive 2009/125/EC, requirements under the Directive and the energy savings achieved;
· The Ecodesign process - from preparatory study to implementation;
· Verification procedures and market surveillance for regulated energy-related products;
· An overview on SAEE's achievements in energy labelling, in particular the transposition of the EU Energy Labelling Directive 2010/30/EU and of regulations for specific products, as well as the current work programme to introduce labelling for more products;
· The transposition of energy labelling and ecodesign requirements according to the EU-Ukraine Association Agreement;
· The current assistance by ITS towards the transposition of the EU Ecodesign Directive and of regulations for energy related products in Ukraine.
A separate half-day workshop on “Awareness Raising for Energy Efficiency” was held later on the same day to present the EU experience in raising public awareness on energy efficiency, recent initiatives of ITS in Eastern Partnership countries as well as the corresponding initiatives of SAEE in Ukraine. Among the speakers were representatives of SAEE, ITS and ICF International.
Finally, visitors of the VII International Investment Business Forum on Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy had the opportunity to meet ITS representatives at the "expert zone", where ITS experts were available to provide information and answer questions on EU and Ukrainian product policies, in particular energy labelling and ecodesign.
As Mr Sergey Savchuk, Chairman of SAEE stated: "These activities will help to create a platform for constructive dialogue between business and government, which is an important tool and incitement to implement energy efficiency projects and technologies, establishing international contacts, obtaining advanced world experience, and attracting domestic and foreign investment."